It’s not every day that you buy cafe furniture so it’s important to know the things to look out for. By knowing what to consider you can avoid cafe furniture mistakes that could prove costly in more ways than one.
When it comes to cafe furniture it’s important to get it right from the outset. Furniture plays a large role in keeping your customers happy, sets the ambience, and determines the flow of your cafe space. If your choices are too heavy, too noisy, or hazardous, it can impact your business.
If you’re in the throes of setting up a new establishment, there are some common cafe furniture mistakes to avoid. So, let’s jump in and take a closer look.
- Poor planning of your space – This is an easy mistake to make. Whether you have too many tables and chairs or not enough, it can be detrimental to your business. Too many tables and your customers will feel cramped, too few and your venue will appear empty. If you haven’t planned your space correctly, you could lose customers that aren’t prepared to wait to be seated.
- Noisy furniture – Large clunky chairs which make a horrible scraping noise when customers move them can be off-putting and stop customers from returning. You can avoid this by selecting chairs with rubber stops on the feet that prevent damage to your floor. Or try using small felt pads on the bottom of the chair legs. Keep a watch for furniture that squeaks when it’s sat on and avoid bringing heavy outdoor furniture inside as it’s usually not suitable for the environment.
- Customer comfort – Have you noticed that fast food establishments tend to have hard plastic seating? There’s a reason for this. If you’re trying to encourage customers to stay longer and spend more money with you, then you need to ensure they have a comfortable experience. Wherever possible, try out the seating for yourself – if you don’t find it comfortable, it’s unlikely your customers will. Not choosing comfortable furniture is one of the most important cafe furniture mistakes to avoid.
- Too many hard surfaces – While metal or aluminium furniture might look good, it may not help you create the ambience you were after. It has an industrial look and feel to it and can feel cold and hard when it’s sat on. If you have a tiled floor, too, it’s probably one too many hard surfaces.
- Unsuitable fabric – Wherever drinks and food are served, there are bound to be spills and splashes. Pale cream suede chairs may look amazing but when you’re trying to get coffee stains out of them you’re going to wish you hadn’t chosen them. Upholstered furniture for cafes should feature machine washable covers that can be removed, or vinyl padded seats which can be wiped clean with a damp cloth in situ.
- Not seeking expert advice – The final one of our common cafe furniture mistakes is not buying commercial grade furniture from an experienced supplier. An experienced supplier can answer any questions you have on its suitability for your venue, and even help you plan and install your design.
The team at Cafe Furniture Melbourne are happy to answer your cafe furniture questions and can help with recommending the best furniture types for your situation.
We also offer affordable prices without compromising quality and deliver Australia wide. If you like a bargain (and who doesn’t) we’re holding an end of financial year sale with some big discounts to benefit from. So, you could consider this the ultimate cafe furniture mistake not to avoid! Why not browse our range of cafe furniture in our online store or visit our showroom in Melbourne where you can view the quality for yourself.